Tuesday, January 9, 2018

How NYSC Scammed Me...

This post was written by Victoria Okorie.

Two days back my younger brother's friend visited our house and spent a couple of hours with us. I never knew he was around but noticed his presence when I left my room for the kitchen.


I made dinner for everyone and close to an hour when he left I met him in the small sitting room and lashed him for not coming to say hello to me since he came around.

Labaran Duniya

He was quick to apologize for that. Furthermore, I teased him saying "So because you have finished Youth Service you are now feeling like the biggest boy in town". His response got me thinking for few minutes in the kitchen.

In his words "Abeg Vicky leave that scam, I tell you NYSC SCAMMED ME". I couldn't just let those words slide by. I heard it continuously through out my service year.

I  was almost cajoled to saying those words but I realized joining the moving train doesn't give me the assurance of getting to my destination. My desire to see and think differently in every situation made me maximize my Youth Service year.

I believe you all certainly know I served in a village that's approximately four hours away from town of which this depends on the speed of the vehicle.

I will like to share few tips with the currently serving Corp members and those yet to go to the camp on the 16th January, 2017.

1. ACCESS:

Have you ever thought of visiting   any office and don't know how to do that?  Your NYSC khaki alone will pave way. What we don't know is that the society not all though have some element of trust on Corp members. Rather than magnify how much NYSC is a scam plan to know and access highly placed persons ,you certainly might not know the result.

2. STRATEGIC MEETINGS:

For those in the medics, organisation such as WHO,  APIN, and MARIE STOPES etc  always have representatives they send to hospitals.This would even favor those serving in rural areas as you will have time to interact with the representatives. Think of the after effect of such meetings.

3.POSITIONING:

Being a youth Corps member positions you in any environment as the tag Youth Corps Member puts an element of believe. When people approach as a Corp member to do a task, my friend sell yourself fast. Time waits for no one.

4. SAVINGS:

Service year taught me how to save. Like imagine yourself with all the beautiful hair you want to make, beautiful clothes you want buy earning 19,800 or with additional naira from your PPA.

If yours turns out to be mine where the local government wasn't interested in paying me like my colleagues then you know you will have loose those extra Fat. 😂😂😂

I might keep writing more and more but the truth still upholds that if you sincerely want to serve then you must open up to see the good in your service year.

Other than that, learn to see the good in every situation. It might not seem rosy at first but the lessons afterwards projects you for exploits.

Did I forget to say you can earn from taking pictures? This could be fun and also make you learn. Take beautiful pictures and maybe you could venture into nature photography.

You might wish not serve, am not a judge on this but if you do please maximize that year. One year is too precious for you to be scammed.

With all I have said, don't remain a Corps member. SOAR! Good morning all.

[Picture place holder]

P. S: This picture was taken during my service year.

By Victoria Okorie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gwamnan ya yi amfani da wasu kalmomi

Sannan ya yi kira ga magoya bayansa da su askewa sanatocin gashin kansu da gemunsu domin a cewarsa “ba sa kaunar jihar.”